- Journal Selection
- Think. Check. Submit.
- Digital Tools to Identify the Journal
- Tools to Identify Journal Ranking
This session will provide an overview of digital tools and initiatives that help researchers select the right journal for their manuscript to ensure the best chance of article acceptance.
There are tens of thousands of academic journals to choose from. Submitting a paper to an unsuitable journal is a key cause of article rejection, but it can be difficult to narrow down which journal is best suited. The presentation will outline how digital tools can support the decision process.
After the session, attendees will:
- understand journal selection mechanisms in the digital age including finding journal rankings online and identifying predatory journals,
- describe novel digital tools that assist with identifying the right journal for a research project (e.g., https://findmyjournal.com, https://journalfinder.elsevier.com, https://journalsuggester.springer.com, https://www.enago.com/academy/journal-finder/).
- understand the role of associations such as Think.Check.Submit, DOAJ, and OASPA in facilitating effective journal selection.
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Mr. Duncan Nicholas
- A distinguished publishing expert, consultant, and trainer, Mr. Duncan Nicholas has extensively worked in the field of scholarly publishing for 14+ years.
- For a decade, Duncan was associated with Taylor and Francis Group. His responsibilities included establishing editorial and peer review processes for a variety of journals by closely working with researchers, journal editors, authors, and reviewers. In addition, he ensured the quality enhancement of all editorial aspects of journal publishing as well as developed specific journal titles through evidence-based analysis and broader subject-area related research.
- Duncan has conducted numerous training programs focusing on various topics related to scholarly publishing, including open science, journal metrics, publication ethics, peer review, challenges in academic writing for ESL authors, etc.
- In his current role, he works with publishers to improve the content, subscriptions, presence, and impact of their titles. He is responsible for implementing new technological developments in publishing along with publishers.
This webinar was a collaboration between Enago Academy and the Southern California Clinical and Translational Science Institute (SC CTSI) at the University of Southern California (USC).