This article focuses on the prerequisites and tips on developing a poster/e-poster. Traditionally, scientific posters have been presented as a combination of information and graphics in print paper format. With the onset of digital technology, options such as the QR (Quick Response) code and interactive electronic posters (e-posters) are in demand by the scientific conferences. The digitized posters have aided an increase in the dissemination of research to a larger audience with speed and ease of use.
Paper Posters vs. E-Posters
The e-posters are similar to traditional paper posters but displayed on-site on a large LCD television screen. Hence, they are available for electronic viewing at all times for participants. A mobile device with a camera and QR code reader app can easily scan QR codes and which directs to a website where a copy of the poster can be downloaded.
Poster A3 handouts are sometimes prepared as a take-home message for the delegates. Additionally, sometimes conferences ask the presenter to give a mini-slideshow (2-3 slides) on the poster, check for the requirement, and plan accordingly.
Tips for Poster Content and Sequence
In general, arrange the poster content as follows:
- Title: Informative, short, and has a mention of the study design and findings
- Background: A short paragraph on the importance of the topic and any previous studies done on similar lines
- Objectives: Bulleted list of two to three research questions
- Data and Methods: Data source, study design, duration of the study sample size, patient population, methodology, statistical analysis-primary, and secondary variables
- Results: Findings presented in the form of table/figures, highlights of key findings, bulleted text relating findings to initial aim and hypotheses, in addition, study strengths and limitations
- Conclusion: Summary of findings, implications for research and directions for future research
Table: Tips for preparing and presenting an effective research poster
Enago Life Sciences is a medical writing company with specialization in medical communications services. We provide a full poster (print / electronic format) and encore poster development services. We work closely with the authors/client to develop the poster from initiation up to final approval. Usually developing a full poster takes a typical turnaround time of 6 weeks (kickoff – print-ready file). Keeping the focus on the target audience, our team of writers and graphic designers convert your research into a simple, succinct, eye-catching poster. Together with our highly qualified, experienced team, with an excellent knowledge across therapy and industry standards, we develop posters as per the conference guidelines and good publication practice.
Click here to download an effective sample poster.